Thursday, September 15, 2016

#DotDay

September 15th is International Dot Day! This was the first year that Bradfield students got involved with Dot Day in the library. Students either viewed The Dot by Peter Reynolds on Tumblebook or heard it read aloud by my sub. The book encourages students to leave their mark and to not doubt what their contribution can be even if they think they do have talent. I love the message of this book because it shows that everyone has their own genius. We, as teachers, just have to help kids believe in themselves.


Monday's flex day classes each started with the same blank circle. They used markers, pencils, and colored pencils to make their mark on their dot. Check out the amazing display of dots below.


I had to be out on Wednesday for a technology training (more exciting information about that is coming soon!!), so I saved our dot drawing activity for my Thursday morning class. The 4th graders worked together or individually to create a dot using sidewalk chalk. Not only did they make the playground look awesome, they were excited to have no restrictions on what their "dot" was supposed to look like.


Even the rain and the sun decided to collaborate on making a dot! I cannot wait for next year's #DotDay. I hope to help the students make it even bigger and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment