Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Interactive Books

Fun fact about Mrs. Ray=I have 5 nieces. My husband had 4 when we got married and then I had one on my side of the family. Elissa, Lily, Annabelle, Emily, and Lizzy are all under 10 and a lot of fun to hang out with! My husband pleaded with me to choose a boy from the Salvation Army Angel Tree so that he gets to finally shop for a little boy. :)

I remember seeing one of my nieces get a game based on the book Press Here by Herve Tullet. At the time, I had never heard of the book and I did not understand why a book would ask the reader to interact with it.

For Dot Day celebrations this year, I needed another book about dots since I let another teacher check out The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds. My eyes landed on Press Here and I thought "why not?" I read it to a kindergarten class and they thought I was a magician! As I called a kid up to do each instruction in the book, the students eagerly waited to see what would happen when I turned the page. The ooohhss and ahhhss were so loud I thought we would get in trouble by the classes around the library. The same thing happened with the other classes that I read the book to.


As I was getting ready to teach my annual lesson about fall, the music teacher asked to check out my favorite fall book Fletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson. I was sad, but I knew that more students would get to enjoy they book so I said goodbye to Fletcher for this year.


I searched the shelves for another book about fall or leaves and I landed on Tap the Magic Tree by Christie Matheson. I skimmed through it and saw that it was similar to Press Here so I thought it would be fun.

I was sure that the magic would have worn off and the kids would know that their actions did not really impact what happened in the book, but they were still amazed! It was so fun for them to connect what they had learned in class about leaves and trees to what was happening in the book.

So, I am definitely a believer in interactive books now. I purchased more Herve Tullet books for the library and I hope to find even more that are similar to these two. Anything that gets children to see how magical books can be is a plus in my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment