Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Thankful

Last week our country shifted and divides became more evident. I know that the library is a safe place where all opinions, races, ideas, and values are welcome. My hope is that the focus remains on uniting instead of separating.

I did not teach the students about the candidates or about the election process. I felt like we all needed a break so I chose to still teach the students about letting their voices be heard through voting but with two lighthearted books. We read Lauren Castillo's TroubleMaker and Nana in the City. Students across the world were also reading these books as part of #GlobalReadAloud.


The students loved how the little boy in this story changed his mind about the city. We discussed how the facial expressions of the little boy helped us, the readers, see how he was feeling as the book progressed.

This book was a clear favorite in the voting. I think many of the students found humor in the raccoon taking precious items for his own.


Our first graders had the pleasure of having Mr. Dillard from the Garland Retired Teachers bring them books for their home libraries.


The students loved getting to pick out their own book to take home. The excitement filled the library and we are very thankful to the Garland Retired Teachers.


Since Thanksgiving is coming up next week, we have been reading a book from our latest book fair called There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Turkey by Lucille Colandro. The students have been howling with laughter as I turn each page. It has been nice to laugh with the kids and know that there is still light in our world.


Lastly, I am forever thankful for my job as a school librarian. It has been my dream and now it is my honor. It is a huge responsibility to help shape a student's love of reading and it is one that I treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment