Thursday, February 1, 2018

January 2018 in the Library

It's a new year with new goals. Check out the fun we had in January!


Students in grades 3-5 were challenged to read 5 Bluebonnet nominees by Christmas break. We had 4 students get to come party this year. The students each brought a friend for lunch in the library along with cookies and prizes. Our school winner was Towers Falling, but my favorite was The Girl Who Drank the Moon. We just received the Bluebonnet nominees for next year so I am excited to get started reading!


The librarians attending a Benchmark Universe training to learn about giving students access to leveled ebooks. It's great that you can filter the search and assign certain books to groups of kids.


One of my goals for 2018 was to get book projects started at our school. The fifth graders in Ms. Valdez and Ms. Cartagena's classes jumped in right away with projects about biographies they read.


We are so excited to display these projects throughout the library.


Look at this awesome one about a baseball player!


On the coldest day of the year, we had a rolling blackout that put us in the dark for over an hour. Since there are no windows int he gym, we invited the PE classes to join our library class. The two classes had a great time listening to this new book and then challenging each other (and us!) to many games of Rock, Paper, Scissors.


I finished out the month by volunteering at our district's Tech Fest on the Reading with Rodney bus. I only have this picture because it was super busy all night! Many kiddos took home bags of books to share as a family.


I have to give a special shoutout to our counselor Ms. Green for completing the January tech challenge. She tweeted three times about what was going on around the school. This photo was our school celebrating National Popcorn Day. The Tweet Fairy made sure to stop by her box with a treat!


I am slowly trying to make a dent in my TBR (to be read) pile from the new books we got in October. I was excited to read this one and it did not disappoint. Very sweet story that makes me think twice before just walking by a tree. My husband thinks the Giving Tree is the saddest book ever so I thought of him as I read it. I want to find a wish tree somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment