Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Halloween in the Library 2016

We have been getting into the spooky spirit of Halloween by decorating the library, reading Halloween books, and doing some Halloween activities. Check out the fun below!

I enjoy getting to decorate the library for each holiday. I especially love decorating for Christmas, but Halloween will do for now.


Pumpkins, pumpkins everywhere!

I also love getting to choose book recommendations for each holiday. These are just some of the Halloween books I have displayed. We have quite a collection in our library and they keep flying off the shelves/tables.

The students were excited to read with spooky witch and vampire fingers during library time. I told them they had to be actively reading in order to keep using their finger. It was so quiet in the library it was spoooky!

1st graders enjoying reading their witch fingers.

These two first graders chose vampire fingers to read with. 

PLC classes created their own monster crayon inspired by Michael Hall's book Frankencrayon. This was not in my plans for this year, but when the book arrived with our order I knew it would be a fun activity for Halloween time. The crayons all have names and are so creative!

Here are the books we have been reading this week during storytime. They are fun reads that are not too spooky for my kindergarten and first grade friends. 

We even involved some Halloween candy into our makerspace by having a candy corn building challenge. The students worked in groups to build towers with their candy. This was also a part of our library being involved in #GlobalMakerDay and #TexasLibrarySnapshotday.

It was great to see all the teamwork going on during the tower building. The students had some great ideas on how to use the toothpicks to make their towers grow.

Of course the kids were also excited to get to eat the candy after building, but not surprisingly they found out that candy corn is not very tasty!

Finally, I just have to share a cool moment from makerspace time this week. These first graders (dressed up for cowboy day!) were practicing their news reporter skills. The box they were using is about telling the weather. I asked the student with the microphone what the weather was going to be and she replied "I am not doing the weather. I am reporting New York news." Then, she told me in an amazing reporter voice all about the twin towers being hit by a plane on September 11th. 


I love my job! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment