Wednesday, October 19, 2016

It's Like Christmas-It's New Books!!

The end of book fair week coincided with our big book delivery. It was quite a maze of book fair leftovers and brand new boxes. I thought I would show you the process of getting the books from the boxes to the shelves.

I had to unpack the new books after packing up the book fair so there was lots to do! Luckily, our fabulous P.E. teacher Mrs. Newberry and amazing art teacher Ms. Bedolla helped me out with the unpacking since they are #superspecials. Mrs. Newberry stated that it is like Christmas day getting to open all the packages.There were 14 boxes!


The new books come labeled with their spine label. barcodes. and an AR level on the inside. I have to go through each book and see which level it is. Then, I put the coordinating color sticker on the book.

I also look through the books to see if they need a genre sticker or a holiday sticker. This year we had several historical fiction and graphic novels that needed to be labeled. Can you tell which color you do not see above? I ran out of brown stickers (4th grade level).


As I was labeling books, I just had to send our art teacher and music teacher pictures of some new titles that I was excited about. Be on the lookout for these coming to a specials' class soon.



As you can imagine, my desk gets pretty messy during new book time but it is a lot of fun to see all of the new books. It takes me a little longer because I like to stop and look at the books.


Then, I select the books that I want to read first. That is a perk of being a librarian. :) My stack this year is very tall so hopefully I can read quickly to get the books back to the new book display.


Lastly, the books are ready for check out! In the past I have put them all on one big cart and when they are gone, that is it. However, this year I decided to prolong the newness of the books by having a new book display where our reference books used to be. As the books from the new books' display get checked out, I will put more new ones over there. I think this will help with allowing more kids to get a "first" time book.


Our library is somewhat back to normal now that the book fair has been packed up. Check back next week to see how we get into the spooky spirit of Halloween around the library!

No comments:

Post a Comment