Wednesday, January 25, 2017

I is for Inventory

This week, I started my library inventory that I do every other year. This means that I have to scan EVERY single book or resource in the library. On Monday, I was without my aide and had a full day of classes, but I still made a dent in scanning the E books. I was able to get quite a bit done on Tuesday so that was exciting. 


I am blogging so late today because I was swamped with laminating all morning due to our school being labeled with English/Spanish words and then I worked on scanning for most of this afternoon. I am proud to say I am near 70% done now!


When I do the scanning, I use my little blue chair that is purposely short for the low shelves. However, there are still several rows of shelves where I have to get on the ground. It is quite a beating on the body and I am glad I only have to do it every other year!


As I am scanning, I pull books that: A) Don't scan. B) Need repair. C) Are paperbacks. The ones that do not scan usually need a new barcode or rarely they are not in the system at all. The need repair books are usually requiring some tape. I do not buy paperback books because they are just not durable enough for an elementary library so if I see ones that have been purchased previously, I take them out of the collection. The exception is books that are classics and we only have the paperback copy in our collection.


💓💓
The life changer in our library has been a wireless scanner!! I bought it at the end of my first year and put it aside. I got it out recently since my inventory was approaching and tried it out for checking in books. My aide and I were so excited to not have to unpack the carts of books just to check the books in. The wireless scanner has made inventory much faster as well because I do not need to worry about finding a laptop to use. 
Tech Fest flier
It sure has been a busy week in the library so far with inventory going on, lots of laminating being done/cut, and promoting our district's TechFest by showing students PebbleGo. I am excited to share more with you next week about the fun from TechFest! 

No comments:

Post a Comment