Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Bluebonnet Books...so far!


I try to read or at least start reading all 20 of the Bluebonnet books so that I can make recommendations and write trivia questions for the student contest. I have made a lot of progress so far this year and I've actually read most of the books all the way to the end. Here are my thoughts so far...


This was a very cute book with a sassy main character. I did get bored about halfway through and skip to the end, but it would be a great starter book for those kids just getting into chapter books. It teaches good lessons about friendship.


I had purchased this book already and used it for our yearly dedication book for our former music teacher. I read it when it became a Bluebonnet book and was touched by the amazing story of overcoming circumstances. It is based on a true story where kids took literal garbage and made music out of it.


I heard a lot about this book so I waited a while to read it, but it was fine. It was not very interesting to me, but I did not find anything too controversial in it. 

 I am sorry to say that I did not like this book at all. I love poetry, but this was just too much to keep me engaged.


This book was cute. I never knew about how the lights from beach houses can affect a turtle's life. 


I was not excited to read this book for some reason, but I am sure glad I did. It hooked me from the very beginning and it was a page turner to the end. I loved it and can definitely see why it was the named this year's Newberry Award Winner.


This was the first chapter book from the Bluebonnet list that I read this year. I had seen the book on various lists and in our book fairs. I really enjoyed reading this book and I thought it was very creative.


This one was a quick read, but very cute. It would also be great for kids starting to read chapter books. I thought the multicultural elements were nicely done without being forced.


I thought this one was a great biography. It taught a lesson about not giving up while pursuing your dreams. I liked it. 

I have had this one on my "to read" list since last summer. I finally found the time and it was worth the wait. It is very strange to me that an event like 9/11 is now historical fiction material, but I thought it was very well written. 


\I really enjoyed this book. It has a big twist in it! :)


I thought this book was fine, but a little dry and over elementary school students' heads.


I am not a huge fan of graphic novels, but this one was cute. It was a fast read and fun.


I am excited to read the rest of the books on the list, but sad I am not at TLA. Next year! :) 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sad to not be there too. Crossing my fingers for a job and getting to go next year!

    Loved your reviews on these books - glad I'm not the only one that sometimes skips to the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very hopeful for you as well! :)
    Yes, life is too short to read books you don't like...even if they are Bluebonnet books.

    ReplyDelete